This room was added in 1870 after newly-widowed Anna Alcott Pratt decided to come back to live at Orchard House with her two sons, Frederick and John Jr. Portraits of Anna, her husband, and their two sons are in the room, along with two rare lithographs of children done by noted artist Lilly Martin Spencer. Displayed on the back wall is “The Mansion of Happiness,” a popular 19th Century board game that was the first produced by Parker Brothers in Salem, Massachusetts. Many of the toys, dolls, and games in the Nursery were donated by Anna's sons and May’s daughter when Orchard House was preparing to open to the public as an historic site in 1911.
Click to listen